This report displays the total number of distinct visitors to your website. For authenticated portals, visitors are tracked by identifying logged-in users. For anonymous websites, users are tracked both by using a browser cookie to identify a user on a particular computer as a single visitor, and by identifying visitor IP addresses. This report displays the visitor's username, cookie identifier or IP address (for anonymous SharePoint sites). When configuring Active Directory updates, additional user information can be displayed, such user name, role, etc.
When tracking unique users on anonymous websites, there is no simple way to identify if a single person uses different browsers to visit your site. In this case, if a visitor uses different browsers to visit your website, each browser will be counted as a distinct visitor in Analytics. Similarly, there is no way to identify if more than one person shares the same computer and browser to visit your website. This activity is logged as one visitor. Additionally, if user identification is based on IP address, when a user's IP address changes, they will be identified as a new user.
CardioLog Analytics also supports scenarios where a SharePoint site is available both for authenticated and anonymous users. For more information see Monitoring Authenticated Users in an Anonymous Environment After They Sign In
Unique Users Report
- In order to display the usernames for authenticated environments, first configure Active Directory integration.
- To mask user names in this report, configure Personally Identifiable Information (PII) Concealment.
- Learn how to display IP address or cookie identifiers for anonymous users.
See Configuring Visitor Segmentation for Authenticated Users for more information on retrieving and importing usernames and information from custom sources, Active Directory, and SharePoint user profiles
- The Map widget is based on GEO location (the public visitor IP), and can only be used for public websites. It cannot be used for intranet portals, even if the user accesses the site from outside the network through a proxy or VPN.
Available Report Widgets
Meter, Chart, Table, Map
The Unique Users table widget contains the following columns:
- User - The user name, cookie identifier, or IP address
- Views - The number of unique page views including page refreshes
- Visits - The number of visit sessions by each unique user. A visit is a series of SharePoint page requests from the same uniquely identified client with a maximum period of 30 minutes between each page request.
- Searches - The number of SharePoint searches performed.
- Visit Duration - The average duration of all visit sessions.
- Custom Columns - This widget provides the ability to add additional user fields, such as Region or Department, by editing the Appearance section of the widget's preferences. Available information is dependent on connected profiles or accounts.
This report provides a visual representation of unique users by country. Countries are color coded, with darker colors representing higher values, with the highest value indicated by the legend in the bottom right-hand corner of the map. You can mouse over a country to display the number of unique users. CardioLog Analytics uses internal and third-party data to derive visitors' geographic locations based on their IP addresses.