The IIS Logs Import feature allows you to gather your existing usage tracking data, dating from before installing CardioLog Analytics. This is done by importing the information from IIS logs. Note that the information from log entries is imported as is (URL mappings and/or username normalization do not apply).
- Run Services.msc on the CardioLog application server, and then stop CardioLog Scheduling Service.
- In the navigation pane in CardioLog, under Administration, click IIS Logs Import
- If you receive an error that you need to install Log Parser, download version 2.2 or newer and install it on the main CardioLog Server.
IIS Logs Import LogParser Error
- Select the web site you would like to import from.
- Fill out the directory path of the IIS logs files for the SharePoint web site.
Note: It is recommended to copy the log files to the CardioLog server. If you have more than one SharePoint WFE, you will need to repeat the import process for each WFE.
- Make sure to import a single IIS log file at a time in order to avoid errors and/or large tempdb transactions.
- Make sure that prior to importing IIS log, the system requirements are fully met, specifically the CardioLog database should be on a dedicated SQL Server instance.
- Select the desired date range for the logs you would like to import
Note: Please choose dates prior to the CardioLog installation, or dates in which the CardioLog tracking agent was down. Choosing overlapping dates will result in duplication of usage data.
Under Included File Extensions, add all commonly used file extensions in the portal (eg., Office documents, videos etc.). Use the Enter key as a separator.
Info icon false title Sample list of common file extensions
Note: It is recommended to import specific file extensions, rather then importing all file extensions as IIS logs contain log entries for scripts, web services, icons, css files, and other files that are not relevant to usage analytics.
IIS Logs Import Main Window
For more options, see Advanced Settings.
Under Excluded User Accounts, add SharePoint service accounts that you wish to exclude from the import process. These should be formatted thus: DOMAIN\Username. Use the Enter key as a separator.
Under Excluded User Agents, add bots and spiders which generate non-human activity.
Note: The Share Point search engine crawler is excluded by default.
Click the Import button to begin importing the usage data from IIS.
- Once all logs were imported, log in to the CardioLog application server, run Services.msc and start CardioLog Scheduling Service.