CardioLog Analytics uses a logical tree to represent the hierarchical structure of your monitored website. Whenever a usage event is sent to CardioLog it maps to the relevant item in the website hierarchy. This allows CardioLog to create reports for any item at any level of the website hierarchy.
The Portal Tree Updates service component retrieves and maintains your website's hierarchical data. If you wish to access the structure of a non-SharePoint website, you can specify an external web service to provide the hierarchical (logical) structure of your website.
In order to monitor a non-SharePoint web site you need to do the following:
- Install the Tracking Agent, which monitors visitor behavior for non-SharePoint web sites. The tracking code is added to a common page component, like master pages.
- Configure the Website tree adaptor to a create tree structure automatically by crawling the website pages, or develop a Custom Tree Web Service that will return a logical tree structure that represents the hierarchy of your website.
Note: The Tracking Agent installation does NOT require reboot or downtime.
The Tracking Agent web application is named CardioLogAgent and should be installed on your CardioLog application server. If it is inaccessible from the website server, install the CardioLogAgent web application on the website server. You can verify if CardioLogAgent is accessible by opening http://[web site root]/CardioLogAgent/ca.aspx from a networked computer.
- Create a CardioLogAgent folder on the primary website server.
- Copy the installation files into the new folder from [CardioLog Installation Folder]\CardioLogAgent\.
- Open IIS Manager on the website machine, create a new virtual directory named CardioLogAgent under the website, which points to the copied CardioLogAgent folder.
- Set the following properties for the new virtual directory: "ASP.NET 2.0, Integrated Windows Authentication" and then verify that the folder permissions allow "Everyone" read access.
- Verify that you can open http://[web site root]/CardioLogAgent/ca.aspx (Edit the root name to reflect your website server name)
Open the copied CardioLogAgent directory, open the web.config file and edit the following key, located in the <appSettings> section:
- Under Administration in the Navigation Pane go to System Configuration > Usage Tracking Code > Select Non-SharePoint Website.
- Copy the tracking code provided in the text box.
System Configuration - Usage Tracking Code
- Edit the all URLs contained in the tracking code that redirect to the CardioLog application server, to redirect to your website root URL.
- Include the edited tracking code into every page you want to track by:
- Adding it after the opening <head> tag on each relevant page
- Verify event collection by clicking Ctrl+F12 and wait for several seconds. The tracking agent console should pop-up, displaying the ID number for the most recent monitored action (event). To close the console, press Ctrl+F12 again.
Develop the Custom Tree Web Service
Using the Custom Tree Adaptor you can specify a web service which provides the hierarchical (logical) structure of your website.
In order to load your custom hierarchical structure to CardioLog so the CardioLog Portal Tree Updates service component may catalog it, perform the following steps:
- Develop the custom tree web service for your web site.
- Verify that the custom tree web service returns a valid XML response according to the XML schema, and that the CardioLog Scheduling Service user account has sufficient permissions to access (request) the web service.
- From the navigation pane in CardioLog go to Administration > System Configuration > Custom Tree Adaptor > Click Add in the top right corner.
System Configuration - Custom Tree Adaptor
- Enter the name of your website in the Name textbox
- Enter the custom tree web service URL in the Website URL textbox (Acceptable file extensions are "aspx", "asmx" or "xml").
- Enter the custom tree web service method name in the Web Method Name textbox (When using "asmx").
- Click Save and restart the CardioLog Scheduling Service by selecting it under Administration and clicking Restart Service in the top right corner..
- After the next scheduled Portal Tree Update, the tree structure will be displayed in the Analysis Center (Object Explorer) and will be available for reports that allow content drilldown.
Custom Tree Web Service Schema
The Custom Tree web service should be published on a web page which provides an XML string response according to the following schema:
- item - any specific item in the custom tree hierarchy.
- URL - the item's full URL path
- title - the item's title as you would like it to be displayed in CardioLog reports
- entitytype - the item's content type
- template - the item's content type template, for displaying related icons in the tree structure
Entity type 5 - Folder
Website Folder -
Entity type 12 - Page
Website Page -
Website Folder Page -
Website Document -
Website Media -
Website Other -
You can also define your own custom content types in coordination with Intlock.
- owner - item's owner/creator
- version - item version, for tracking updates
- created- the item's creation date
- modified - the item's most recent modification date